Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Refuting the mechanical superiority of the curiosity breeding device known colloquially as the typewriter!

I have been in pursuit of furthering the Kindle community lately, and I've noticed a startling hostility toward the product. Not only does the anonymous internet troll decry the presence of an ebook reader, but so have many renowned authors and publishers. Poppycock I say! People fear change, and so wish to disavow anything they view as a mere technological curiosity. Thus I share a link to an article on the typewriter published in 1875 with a corresponding refutation of it from Mark Twain, master penman and member of the illustrious Guild.

What “Mark Twain” says About it.
Hartford, March 19, 1875.

Gentlemen: Please do not use my name in any way. Please do not even divulge the fact that I own a machine. I have stopped using the Type Writer, for the reason that I never could write a letter with it to anybody without receiving a request by return mail that I not only describe the machine, but state what progress I had made in the use of it, etc., etc. I don’t like to write letters and so I don’t want people to know I own this curiosity-breeding little joker.

Yours truly,
Saml. L. Clemens

Truly Mr. Clemens, if that is his true name, and not just one in a line of pseudonyms, was only discussing the veritable truth of the matter. Only a scant one hundred years after the typewriter grew into vogue, this curiosity breeding little joker was dismissed as laughable! Routed by a piece of electronic rubbish that suffers from the qwerty design so inadequately prepared in the latter half of the nineteenth century.

So make sure to inform your friends and colleagues. Do not buy a Kindle, for if it follows the trend of the typewriter it will not serve as a proper inheritance for any of your grand-children, even if they are born from a mail order bride who yields you Asiatic Mongrels.

No comments: