Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I can't say that I'm surprised.

An email sent to me from the University of Oregon's Writing Program.

"Dear S1mon,

I am writing to inform you that your application for admission into the Creative Writing Program at the University of Oregon has not been accepted.  From hundreds of applications, many of them strong, we can make only six admissions offers in fiction and six in poetry.  Thus, we must decline admission to many students who look very promising, students we would like to have at Oregon if we were not operating under any constraints.

While I am not able to comment on each application, I'm aware that students are eager to know what about their files was not competitive.  I can only address this by directing you to our web site, which provides information about preparing and submitting the application.  I must repeat that I cannot comment on individual files.  Your academic or writing mentors should look through your materials to help you discern how to strengthen them.

We appreciate your interest in our graduate program and hope you will be able to work out your plans another way.

Sincerely,
Person who runs the program"

My heart did tumble over its artery jump rope when I read the opening line. It then quickly picked itself up off the floor of my rib cage, dusted off its long black coat, and decided to work up a good mad for the rest of the day.

No comments: